MEDICAID EXPANSION EFFECTIVE TOMORROW, 12/1
Medicaid will now cover people ages 19 through 64 years with higher incomes. North Carolinians may be able to get health care insurance through Medicaid even if they didn’t qualify before.
Medicaid pays for doctor visits, yearly check-ups, emergency care, mental health services, and more – at little or no cost to beneficiaries.
Most people will be able to get health care coverage through Medicaid if they meet the criteria below. And if you were eligible before, you still are. Nothing changes for you. To learn more, go to www.medicaid.ncdhhs.gov.
- Live in North Carolina
- Be ages 19-64
- Be a citizen. Some non-US citizens can get health care coverage through Medicaid. To learn more, go to medicaid.ncdhhs.gov.
- Have a household income that is below 138% of the federal poverty level. That’s about $20,000 for a single adult or about $34,000 for a family of three.
People can apply for Medicaid online at www.epass.nc.gov. They can also submit a paper application or apply in person at their local Department of Social Services (DSS), which is located at 530 Carthage St, Sanford. Applications may take up to 45 days to process. Incomplete applications may take longer. To help the process go faster, people can:
- Apply online at ePASS and provide all the information requested. If the application is incomplete, it may take longer to process. DSS will need to follow up with the applicant.
- Keep contact information up to date in ePASS, to receive all important information about Medicaid benefits.
- Sign up for an enhanced ePASS account to keep their information updated without having to contact the local DSS office.
To learn more, visit www.Medicaid.ncdhhs.gov or the Lee County DSS webpage at https://leecountync.gov/departments/social_services/index.php, or call the DSS office at 919-718-4690.