Intersession and Summer Camp Counselor
Overall Responsibilities: To create and carry out activities for children 5-12 years old. Applicants must be available to work 7:00am-6:00pm, Monday thru Friday during the months of March, June, July, and August.
- Creates weekly activity plans for summer camp.
- Carries out activities with campers.
- Presents a positive image of San-Lee Park and Lee County Parks and Recreation.
- Enforces policies, rules, and regulations of San-Lee Park
- Reports directly to the Recreation Programmer.
- Supervises children attending camp.
Relationships and Key Contacts:
- Has frequent contact with parents dropping off/picking up their kids.
- Has frequent contact with volunteers, other employees, and co-workers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with peers.
- Ability to supervise children in a fun and safe setting.
- Knowledge of games, crafts, and other camp activities.
- Willingness to learn about various new games and new crafts, etc.
- Skill to operate a motorized vehicle (must be 18 years or older).
- Skill to operate different types of tools.
- Ability to be flexible in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, their parents, supervisors, and co-workers.
- Ability to act quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Must have previous experience working with children.
Preferred but not required:
Physical: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including computers, copiers, calculators, fax machines, garden implements, etc. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds or more of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects as well as children. Physical demand is in excess of those for sedentary work. Work requires walking, standing, lifting, bending, kneeling, stooping, and crawling to a significant degree.
Exposures: Must be able to work around hazardous substances including bleach, paint, glues, various solvents, etc. May be exposed to blood borne pathogens. May be exposed to outdoor elements for varying amount of time throughout the summer months.
Applications may be obtained in the Lee County Human Resources Office, The Summit Building: 408 Summit Drive, Sanford, NC 27330. Completed applications should be returned to the Human Resources Office or Lee County Parks and Recreation Office, 2303 Tramway Road, Sanford, NC 27330.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Females and minorities are encouraged to apply. Lee County does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disabling condition in employment. Lee County is an equal opportunity employer.