FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PARKS AND RECREATION ANNOUNCES PROGRAM UPDATES AND CHANGES
LEE COUNTY, NC – May 21, 2020 – Lee County Government (LCG) Parks and Recreation announced several program updates in response to updated guidance in Executive Order 141, signed by Governor Cooper, that will go into effect on Friday, May 22, 2002 at 5 PM.
“We have received numerous inquiries about the status of our summer camps and recreation programs,” said Joseph Keel, LCG Parks and Recreation Director. “Based on the most recent guidance from the state, we have had to make some difficult decisions but the health and safety of the community remains our priority. We will have noticeably reduced programming this summer but we are working hard to find innovative ways to provide the community with recreational options this spring and summer.”
Parks and Recreation has announced the following:
- 2020 Baseball/Softball/Machine Pitch/T-Ball League is canceled; staff will contact all registered participants to process a full refund or account credit; a new free baseball program - Skills & Drills will be offered this summer with limited capacity – more information will be announced next week.
- Baseball Field rentals for practices only are available on a limited basis; no organized games are allowed; all other facility rentals remain suspended until further notice.
- Gymnastics Summer Session and Summer Camps are canceled; additional information about the Fall Session will be released later this summer.
- San-Lee Park will increase parking capacity from 50% to 75% beginning this Saturday, May 23rd at 8 AM; fishing will be allowed in the park but no fishing from park bridges or trails; San-Lee Nature Center remains closed to the public.
- Summer Camp at San-Lee Nature Center will begin on June 22nd and will be offered as a half-day camp from 7:30 AM – 12:00 PM; registration will open on Tuesday, May 26th at 8 AM and is limited to 15 participants per session; to register visit leecountync.gov/Departments/Parks-Recreation/ERegistration or call (919) 775-2107.
- O.T. Sloan Pool will open on Tuesday, June 2nd – the pool will not open this weekend; Open Swim pool capacity will be limited to 50 swimmers and will be available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 1 PM – 5 PM; swimming lessons for the 2020 pool season are canceled.
For questions related to Parks and Recreation summer programming changes, please call (919) 775-2107.
For additional information and questions, please contact Jamie Brown, Community & Governmental Relations Manager at (919) 718-4605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #