LEE COUNTY, NC – March 13, 2020 – The Lee County Board of Commissioners met Friday morning, March 13th at 11:00 AM to discuss the county public health preparedness and response plans for COVID-19.
The Health Department provided commissioners with an update on the current status of cases and testing in Lee County. At this time, there are no presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Lee County. The department is testing three individuals in the county for COVID-19 and have been notified of several additional cases that have been sent for testing through private providers. All individuals awaiting test results have been advised to self-quarantine for fourteen (14) days or until receiving a negative test result. Positive test results will be reported; NO PATIENT DATA WILL BE SHARED.
The County Manager spoke with the Board regarding county operations and the following recommendations will be implemented beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 and will remain in effect through Monday, April 6, 2020 unless otherwise notified:
- All overnight travel by county employees is suspended
- Library Operations:
- Lee County Libraries will operate normal business hours
- All special programs, activities and room rentals are suspended – this includes story time events at outside facilities
- Library fines are suspended during this period
- Parks & Recreation:
- Baseball, Softball and T-Ball programs will proceed as scheduled; no high-five rule and no handshake rule in effect
- Art and Dance classes will proceed as scheduled
- All gymnastics classes, programs and facility rentals are suspended
- All indoor facility rentals are suspended
- Senior Services:
- On-site congregate meal program is suspended; the department working on alternative plan to ensure currently registered program participants receive meals during this period; this includes a drive-thru option for participants that drive and home-delivery for those with limited transportation options.
- All non-essential programming is suspended, this includes the exercise room and fitness classes.
- Veteran Service Office remains open
- Tax Aide Program Appointments remain open
- The Enrichment Center will close daily at 5:00 PM
In addition to these actions, the Lee County Jail is restricting visitors until otherwise notified effective immediately. The County Manager will review additional recommendations related to county employees and operations with Commissioners at the regular Board meeting on Monday, March 16th at 6 PM.
For information related to COVID-19, please visit leecountync.gov/coronavirus-information or email Health@leecountync.gov. The public may also refer to cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov and ncdhhs.gov/divisions/public-health/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-response-north-carolina for up-to-date and reliable information.
For additional information and questions, please contact Jamie Brown, Community & Governmental Relations Manager at (919) 718-4605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #