Portal Login | SITEMAP | FAQ's | ESPANOL  
Departments » Soil & Water » FAQ



What does the Lee County Soil and Water Conservation District do?

The District provides technical assistance as needed to local farmers, landowners, homeowners, and developers to implement conservation practices that  are related to soil and water.  Cost share funding may be available through both State and Federal programs to  help implement Best management Practices.  Fell free to contact our office if you  have any questions or need assistance.

How do I request soil information?

Come by or call the office and talk with a staff person knowledgeable of soil in Lee County.  Free copies of the Lee County Soil Survey are available but sometimes the information in this needs further explanation.

Where can I get my soil tested?

Lee County Soil and Water Conservation and the office of NC Cooperative Extension service can provide you with soil sample boxes and testing information.  NC Cooperative Extension office can be reached at (919) 775-5624.

Where can I get my water tested?

The Lee County Department of Environmental Health can provide you with water testing information.  They an be reached at (919) 718-4641.

How can I view old aerial maps?

 Preferably call for an appointment so that staff can assist you with the old photos. We are presently working with GIS to get these old aerial photos on the web in the near future.

If I want to build a pond, what do I need to do first?

Please call and talk with one of our staff. There are permits and wetland issues that a landowner must consider before construction takes place. These permits and approvals are federal and state requirements.

Soil & Water

McSwain Picture

Ernest & Ruby McSwain Center
2420 Tramway Road
Sanford, NC 27330


Phone 919-776-2633


Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 am - 5 pm